· Private_Messages
· Recommend_Us
· Web_Links
· Your_Account

Page Views
We received
page views since 10-september-2007

nj-horse.com :: View topic - Listerine Tail Rubbing Remedy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Listerine Tail Rubbing Remedy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chunkypalomino
Pimlico Winner
Pimlico Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Listerine Tail Rubbing Remedy Reply with quote

Whats the actual concoction for this and-- do you leave it on or wash it out???? I dont want to cause more irritation by leaving it on, if it should be washed out---Yes I am grabbing a tube of wormer(just in case it's pin worms but, doubts that what its from) and I am cleaning his sheath tommorow as well.
Stellatmk
Kentucy Derby Winner
Kentucy Derby Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same problem right now. I rinse in plain listerene, straight, the golden colored stuff. then use lots of deep woods off straight on his tail. and I covered the pin worm potential as well. He just rubs and rubs this time of year.
dallas
You Need Professional Help

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used it straight.. but sometimes its the gnats causing it - ticks will too.. and a "bean" .. if its a gelding..
chunkypalomino
Pimlico Winner
Pimlico Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you wash it out or leave it on?? Dallas-- his sheath is pretty gross! This is a new horse for me-- only had for a week. He has had the tail rubbing thing for a while, but the old owners didnt do any maintance for it except put carpet tack up around his stall......... So, I will worm him, clean his sheath and do the listerine thing. I put MTG on it it-- seemed to make it even more itchy-- he has obvious fence/stall rub marks(lines) against his butt cheeks but broke some skin doing it, and has open sores to the tail too. I dont know if the sores are from him rubbing so much he broke open the skin.....I am thinking it is more of a skin reaction than sheath or worms....
OakiesMom
Canter
Canter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Oakie does the same thing . I have to believe it is due to flies, gnats, etc. since Oakie is fine all winter long - spring -fine , as soon as the bugs come out he rubs away the whole top of his tail. I have also tried the MTG and beside him smelling like BBQ it didn't do much ! Happy
He also has beem wormed - so i am going to give the Listerine a try.
Dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a gelding where I work that sometimes rubs his tail. And, I know he's been wormed, so if he continues, I'll have to pass this info along to my boss.

I live in a house, but I'm at home with my horse.
dallas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble with the MTG, it burned my mare, so i wont use that on there anymore- it runs "under" the tail and onto sensitive areas and she blistered..

if u think thats whats going on- get some aloe vera JUICE from the health food store, wash all of the excess MTG and whatever else is on there and put the aloe on to calm that area down , if its just itching and theres no open wounds, i use listerene straight, but the gnats/or ticks, go up under the tail and in the crack ... ouch, and make them itch, once its closed again , and no open sores, try putting the swat on his butt, up under from his sheath back, where its together if you know what i mean, on the tail head, the top where hes probably itching it, get some tea tree oil, it keeps the gnats away, and heals at the same time, you can mix the straight tea tree with some light mineral oil, so its not so strong.. id keep the swat in his crack(real nice way to put it but... ) they also get ticks up there too, but the swat wont burn or irritate if he sweating and its hot and his cheeks are rubbing together.. the tea tree for poeple is better then the stuff for horses.. also- the black bombers are out now- if hes getting bit on his spine above the tail, that will make them rub too, so if you follow the spine up with the fly spray you are using, load it up from his tail but not under the saddle area, four inches on each side of the spine-- sometimes thier hair there even stands up because of those bombers biting- drives them nuts..

SO aloe if hes raw(put the bottle in the fridge, they love it) , tea tree on the tail hairs and ontop until he heals, and swat in the crotch.. and spray the crap out of his spine in the rear end.. and inside the rear legs below the swat.. gnats dont like oil, so you can mix the tea tree with light mineral oil, messy but it helps alot.. when hes healed up and not "burned" from the mtg, you can use the tea tree and light oil,
chunkypalomino
Pimlico Winner
Pimlico Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok-- wormed with Equimax, and sheath cleaned-- bean the size of half a ping pong ball!!! Poor little guy!Crying or Very sad Although I still think it's a reaction to something...I poured listerine-straight in his tail, and it went on his sores(wasnt trying to be mean to him)--BUT---- he loved it!!!!!.....I scratched it all in and he lifted his tail to let me get it in good.....I was waiting for him to kick when it hit his sores--- it seemed like relief to him....Ahhh horses, always keep you guessing and keep giving me more pre- mature grey hairs....
ryditcowgrl
Gallop
Gallop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody does that every summer. His sheath is clean, he's wormed regularly... but I notice that he gets dandruff. If i wash his tail with this aloe medicated shampoo, let it sit on it while I clean the rest of his body, and wash it out.. he's less irritated and stops rubbing it.
Melody
Halter Class
Halter Class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: New horse Reply with quote

CP - Tell us about your new horse. Do you still have Dom too?
chunkypalomino
Pimlico Winner
Pimlico Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody-- Oh yes we still have our sweet boy Domino!!! He will be with us forever! I love him to pieces! The new one is a very stout little 15'1 AQHA palomino gelding. His name is Quixote- (kee-yo-tee)-- gives meaning to my name again!!! "Chunkypalomino" He is a 9 year retired reining horse--who will now just be our trail riding horse and maybe a little low level dressage with him too. We will see how it works out, so far so good. Happy
roxyllsk
Pimlico Winner
Pimlico Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tail is dry and MTG doesn't work, I've done baby oil - dose the tail good, leave on for a while (like while you ride), then wash it out really well with a mild shampoo.
ryditcowgrl
Gallop
Gallop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with the MTG. I love that stuff. It made my geldings mane grow in thicker than it ever has. You have to reapply it and make sure its thoroughly rubbed in. Tails should be french braided also to keep it in better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nj-horse.com Forum Index -> Horsey Health All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: